DEF CON CTF 2020 will be held Friday, August 7th through Sunday 9th (CTFtime).
Like DEF CON itself, finals will be online for the first time ever, albeit with similar rules to classic finals.
As you are all hopefully aware (if not, you have some travel plans to change!), DEF CON is going into Safe Mode because of COVID; the whole event, including DEF CON CTF, is going to be virtual. This means that this year’s 16 teams are going to spread out all over the world, rather than all be jetlagged together in Las Vegas. As a consequence, the timing of the game is tricky.
To minimize the chances of anyone collapsing and nearly dying (again) from hacking too hard, we have developed a schedule that will spread the pain out to everyone.
This year, DEF CON CTF will be played in 4 shifts of 8 hours, with 9 hours between shifts.
We’ll start 5 AM Las Vegas time on Friday, August 7th (4 AM for setup).
Here is the specific schedule (Las Vegas time == PDT):
- Shift 1: 4am setup, 5am start, 1pm end
- Shift 2: 9pm setup, 10pm start, 6am end
- Shift 3: 2pm setup, 3pm start, 11pm end
- Shift 4: 7am setup, 8am start, 4pm end
Good luck and see you on DEF CON’s discord (CTF area).
Based on an excellent qualification round and the results of pre-qualifier events, 16 teams accepted our invitation to compete for the glory of winning the official DEF CON CTF:
1. A*0*E (prequalified via PlaidCTF) 2. /bin/tw 3. Cykor (prequalified via CodeBlue) 4. HITCON⚔Balsn 5. koreanbadass 6. mhackeroni 7. More Bush Smoked Whackers (prequalified via CTFZone) 8. NorseCode 9. pasten (prequalified via 36C3) 10. PPP (prequalified by winning in 2019) 11. r3kapig 12. rpisec 13. Samurai 14. Shellphish 15. Star-Bugs (fmr. CandySweetGuys) 16. Tea Deliverers (prequalified via HITCON)
See twitter for updates.